Saturday, April 28, 2007

My Edutastic Movie

After several days of work, I have officially produced, directed, and starred in my very own five or six minute movie! Here is what I have discovered about making movies on iMovie:

1. I am undoubtedly breaking laws by making this movie:

1a. I can't believe how few photographs are out there that we can use freely. Something that I would change if I ruled the world (which I will someday) is make a law that says that as long as someone isn't making money off of it, photos can be used freely, because it's a pain in the tokhis to find photos that you can use at all, and then it's confusing to figure out what you need to do to use them. So, in short, copyright laws hinder my creativity, and the Internet is all about connecting and sharing, so why don't more people connect and share?

1b. I'm stealing music in it too, but since I bought it, and I'm not selling it, I don't feel too bad about it. I also give the artist credit in my credits, but it kind of freaks me out that I'm probably breaking a law by doing this. What can I say? I'm a rebel without a cause.

2. It's very difficult to do voice overs, even when the program that you're using is dummy proof. My soundtrack is pretty lame, with my personal mixes of songs, and my voice narrating the whole thing, but, hey, you work with what you've got, and James Earl Jones wasn't available to do the voice over, so I had to do it myself.

3. Computers are great, but when they erase everything you've done at random, forcing you to start over again, one starts to wonder if the old way wasn't better afterall.

But, all of those things are less important than my main point. As I was putting this movie together on homelessness, I realized that I could make a movie about just about anything (IF I had free access to more photos, that is). Initially, I thought about the fact that I could make a movie about my grandmother, because we have pictures of her that go back to 1907, and it would make an amazing movie to share with my family, but truly, I could make a movie about anything. Butterflies, slavery, ancient Rome... anything. That got me really excited, because everyone likes movies, and if you had access to enough clips and photos you could do amazing things with iMovies (or other programs like it). If I ever get some time to myself again, I'm going to look into making movies on all kinds of subjects with my own photographs on sinking and floating, George Washington, addition, and anything else that occurs to me.

Yea laptops! Yea idiot-proof movie making programs! Yea technology! Life is good.

No comments: